Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Five Senses

I see myself covered in rotten food sinking into the quagmire of a marshland. I taste the sweat and blood of my own exertions to escape. I have to fight the urge to vomit over the stench of the decaying flesh around me. My feet feel like they have been weighted with iron and dried cement. I hear nothing but the unearthly screams and curses of others in my situation. I put my hands to my ears and clamp my ears shut and anguish fills my heart.
Before I open my eyes again, I notice the sensation of a cool breeze around my feet and legs. I can wiggle my toes. The breeze carries the smell of home cooking, clean clothes and sweet creation past my nose. My eyes spring open and feast on the sight of beautiful black sand beaches, crystal blue water and green, snow-capped mountains in the distance. My ears are tickles by the sounds of breakers, voices singing and laughing and the whispered presence of the One I love. I turn to see Him and He says, “Sweetheart, I’m glad you’re here. Please join me for dinner. We have so much to talk about.” The food is delicious.
“O, taste and see that the Lord is Good: blessed is the man who trusts in Him.” Psalm 34:8
Do not be fooled. God sees our sin, faith, despair, hope, and everything else as reality. He sees it as easy as we see the creation around us. So why, when we look at people who are do not know God, do we insist on looking at them in judgment instead of pity? Why do we not witness to them with the urgency of someone who would rescue a drowning man? How can we be content with paradise knowing that so many people we run in to everyday will not be there to enjoy it with us? Why do we condemn them when we ARE them? God forgive us for our arrogancy! Please, give us Your hands so we can touch the unclean. Give us Your ears so that we can hear their pleads for help in their curses. Give us Your eyes so we can see their need. Give us Your mouth so we can speak sweet words of healing. Give us Your nose, so that we will know the fragrant sacrifice that delights you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment