Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Unknown

For years I have lived within a “comfort zone.” Even while traveling to third-world countries and finding myself in dangerous situations or completely alone on the missions field, there has been a “comfort zone” quality about it. “Comfort zones” provide a certain level of security, safety, acceptance and pleasure. Adventure, discomfort and possibility lie just outside that bubble of comfort. So why would a “comfort zoneless life” bring me misery? It’s rather confusing to explain but while I’m in the comfort zone, my life holds few surprises. It’s stable, change-less and predictable. I don’t have to exercise much faith and my spiritual growth is stunted. Also, my ministry is hindered because I’m not willing to take risks but because it feels good, I am willing to sustain these losses. Right now, I’m living outside of any comfort zone and there is no foreseeable time in which I will return to a comfort zone. I’m not intrinsically professional and yet I’m in a highly professional job. My passion is ministry and evangelism (if you haven’t noticed) but I find myself in a strictly unreligious environment. There are times I want to quit and give up. I’m scared. Part of me would rather go back to my comfort zone but I won’t. You see, I know I’m in the center of God’s will and with that knowledge, God’s peace is present. I don’t know why He has chosen this place and this time to demolish my comfort zones but it is forcing me to the extremity of my faith and further. When I think I can’t go further without danger or loss, God says, “Take another step my love.” So what about my misery? Well, its there, but it doesn’t have to stay there. This is one of those times when my will has to overcome my emotion and tell it what to do. “Put on your grown-up pants and knuckle through.” So God, its You and me. Let’s Roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment