Sunday, September 26, 2010

Public Witness in a Professional World

So, how does a person have a public witness without forcing the Bible down throats? How do take every opportunity to witness but still respect other people and their “free will”? What about not denying Jesus to people? How do all these things work together, especially if you work in a critical or cynical environment where Christianity is seen more as a crutch for the weak-minded?
I sat down with my dad the other day to discuss this very topic. My new job has the beauty of allowing me to meet so many people and many of them are in need. They need a skilled physical and spiritual physician. What kills me is that this does not mean that I can just go around introducing these people to my Love, my Lord. Instead, I have to be silent and pray to myself. Prayer is a powerful thing and I don’t want to belittle that but sometimes I feel like it is insufficient. Like a Tylenol for someone who is having an amputation, it does not begin to even partially relieve the problem.
Dad said the best witness to be is just to be like Christ. Be different from the world. It still feels insignificant but it plants seeds. Wouldn’t I be risking the opportunity to be a light to hundreds of people if I cross the line by witnessing? Isn’t it seen as unprofessional even though salvation is better and more fulfilling that anything else in this world? Am I denying my Savior by keeping silent? I am confused but this I know, God brought me into this job and He will take me out when my job has been fulfilled. All I must do is love on Him and obey Him everyday and He will bless. He will plant seeds. He will tell me when to speak and when to keep silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment